Photo of the Day
The Ruins Talisay
Image by Beegee49
The Ruins is exactly that: ruins of an old mansion. In the early 1900’s, Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson, a Spanish-Filipino sugar baron, built the mansion for his Portuguese wife, Maria Braga. They filled their house with European and Asian furnishings, eventually earning the reputation of owning the biggest and grandest mansion in the province at the time.
Sadly, it met a violent end. In the early part of World War II, Don Mariano found out that the Japanese were planning to turn his mansion into their headquarters. So he asked Filipino guerilla fighters in Negros to torch his house, just to keep it from the clutches of the Japanese. Others believe (the more romantic perhaps?) that he burned his own house down as he had gone mad after the death of his wife. Whichever version of the fire you believe, it’s been told that that it took days to burn down most of the mansion.
When the flames finally died down, the pillars of the mansion, the grand staircase, as well as parts of the two-inch wooden floors on the second storey withstood the fire. Architecture remains that attest to a point of history in the town of Talisay.